Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Donnerstag, 5. Februar 2009, 01:15

C17 mit belly-up Landung in Afghanistan.....

Zitat

2/4/2009 - BAGRAM AIRFIELD, Afghanistan (AFNS) -- More than 120 Airmen, Defense Department civilians and contractors removed a crippled C-17 Globemaster III from the runway Feb. 2 at Bagram Airfield after the aircraft landed here Jan. 30 with none of its landing gear down.

Emergency response crews sprang into action shortly after the aircraft screeched to a stop -- a first-time incident in the aircraft's 16-year history -- and base members worked around the clock to restore air operations at the airfield.

While none of the crew suffered significant injuries in the incident, the disabled aircraft presented a significant challenge to maintaining air operations.

"A lengthy runway closure is our worst nightmare at Bagram," said Brig. Gen. James M. "Mike" Holmes, the 455th Air Expeditionary Wing commander. "The Airmen, Sailors and Soldiers on the 455th AEW team work extremely hard every day to make sure coalition forces all over Afghanistan can count us to be there with close-air support, airdrop and airlift, personnel recovery, and electronic attack, when and where they need it. We knew we would have to find a way to keep doing our job while our runway was closed."

Col. Tim Strasburger, the 455th Expeditionary Operations Group commander, led a team of aviators, airfield operations members, air traffic control personnel and wing safety members to figure out how to safely continue airfield operations.

Crash recovery, emergency management, aircraft engineers and maintainers, some of whom had flown in from other bases within the theater of operations, worked tirelessly to formulate a plan and gather supplies needed to lift the more than $200 million aircraft up long enough to extend its landing gear.

"Being a first time incident did not impact our course of action. This is what we train for," said Tech. Sgt. Joseph Mixson, the lead team chief for crash recovery here. "We put together a meeting of experts on base so we could pool our resources and see what was available to work with at the time. Once we knew what assets were available we set forth an initial recovery plan outlined from the guidance provided from the disabled aircraft recovery technical order."

Lt. Col. Greg Urtso, the on-scene commander during the recovery operation, said the aircraft experts kept their focus on the recovery effort with the help of mission support personnel.

Airmen from the 455th Expeditionary Mission Support Group provided security, construction equipment, transportation, communications equipment and lodging for experts brought in from outside Afghanistan. Medics from the 455th Expeditionary Medical Support Group took air samples inside the aircraft to ensure it was safe for personnel.

"The level of cooperation and willingness to do whatever it took was awe inspiring," Colonel Urtso said.

After more than two days of concentrated effort, recovery crews managed to lift the aircraft high enough to extend its wheels and prepare it for removal from the runway.

"We used a 120-ton crane assisted by six 26-ton airbags to finally lift the aircraft from the runway," Sergeant Mixson said. "The major lesson learned was that the technical data for C-17 recovery did not list any alternate methods. We were not able to place the airbags in the positions they needed to be because the entire fuselage section was laying on the runway. Using the crane allowed us to get the airbags into position."

Shortly after the aircraft was removed from the runway, applauded the work of everyone involved in the safely executed recovery effort.

Kompletter Text und Bild bei der USAF

Glück gehabt! :bier: :yes: :winke:

"When my time on Earth is gone, and my activities here are past, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass."Bob Knight

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.."
(Benjamin Franklin)

Donnerstag, 5. Februar 2009, 18:56

Heftig ...

:flieger:
Gruß

Dirk 8)

Flusitechnisch nun in den Rentenstatus gewechselt

Thunderbolt

52nd Fighter Wing

wcf.user.posts: 830

Beruf: Physikstudent

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 5. Februar 2009, 21:11

Sieht übel aus! Besonders die Spur, die sie gezogen hat :shocked:
Gigabyte EP35-DS3L - Intel C2D E8400 @ 3.7Ghz - Gainward GTX260 896MB - Corsair XMS2 PC8500 4GB - Samsung SMT220 22" - Samsung SM943 19"

Gruß,
Lars :tag:

Magic

Stop pumping the yoke!

wcf.user.posts: 5 972

Beruf: Quälgeist der Luftfahrt

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 5. Februar 2009, 22:05

Ach was...papperlapapp...!
Etwas Spucke und grobe Politur und das Ding sieht aus wie neu.
Danach mit nem Besen über die Piste und...voila´....alles wieder im Lot!

:thumbsup:
Straighten up and fly right!
"Runway left behind and altitude above are useless..." Al "Tex" Johnston

Donnerstag, 5. Februar 2009, 22:06

Das darf Karl nicht lesen,Bernd uiuiui..... :sagnix: :ergeben:

"When my time on Earth is gone, and my activities here are past, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass."Bob Knight

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.."
(Benjamin Franklin)

Donnerstag, 5. Februar 2009, 22:17

... und wenn Bernd einfach in "feine Politur" umändert ? ? :pfeif:

:bier:
Gruß

Dirk 8)

Flusitechnisch nun in den Rentenstatus gewechselt

Donnerstag, 5. Februar 2009, 22:18

... und wenn Bernd einfach in "feine Politur" umändert ? ? :pfeif:

:bier:
Schon besser, da fühle ich mich doch glatt verstanden........ :lol: :bier: :winke:

(Benjamin Franklin)